Tuesday, October 7, 2008

26.2

This is the 2008 STG Marathon Poster!
It's finally finished!! That is what I was saying the last 10 miles of the race when I was being brutally hit by the non-stop pouring rain and the miserably cold head wind. I felt so good until mile 16 when my goal time (03:40) pacer passed me. I let myself get into this mental rut and started noticing the major cramping coming from my right hip. Everything just plummeted down hill from there. At mile 23 I decided my 12 minute miles were just as slow as walking so I opted for a fast walk. After only about a quarter of a mile into walking I figured I didn't come here to finish like that, so I picked my aching legs up and started a slow jog. Through the tears (which were thankfully unnoticed because of the heavy rain), I finished in under 4 hours. I would have been doubly crushed if I hadn't. My official time was 03:58:24. The worst ever out of my four marathons.
I attribute it to the poor training (or lack thereof) and the cold, wet, torturous rain. Therefore, it's only half my fault. When I finished I told Brandon to never let me do that again. I take that back. It has been only 2 full days and my sore body has quickly recovered. Running is my passion. I will be back.
Before the race. It was raining, but you can't tell.
The only picture Brandon got of me was at the finish. I guess I was too fast for the camera!
(You don't want to see me anyways. I will describe it to you: soaking wet, frowning, hurting, cold, miserable)
The first thing I did when I finished was get my wet clothes off and put on warm clothes. I was shivering (my lower lip was an uncontrolled quiver) really bad and getting muscle spasms in my quads.
Finished and cleaned up!
I didn't notice this until I was finished. I looked down the back of my shoe and it was covered in blood. My sock was covered in smeared (wet) blood. I had 4 big friction burns on my left heel.
I didn't notice this one until I got home. It wasn't just on the back of my shoe. The front mesh is covered in blood from my baby toe (friction burn there as well). This is HARD CORE!

12 comments:

Andrea said...

you are my hero! i could have NEVER! congrats!

Angel said...

Way to go Connie! Even if you did the worst you've ever done, that is extremely amazing! I'm pretty sure I'd never be able to finish one, let alone in under 4 hours. That looks painful! I think I'll just stick with 13 being my max. :)
p.s. remember my friend that I told you was running it...with NO training whatsoever. Ya, he made it to about mile 20 until his legs cramped up and he fell down. They had to massage them for about an hour and he wasn't able to finish. So at least you finished! That storm would be miserable to run in!!!

Ali said...

I am surprised you so quickly agreed to come back to it! I don't think I would. Congrats on the finish! ...and I would frame those shoes in shadow box, seriously. Those rock! :)

Karen said...

Way to go Connie! That looks absolutely miserable. I can't imagine running the last 10 miles of a marathon in the pouring rain with bloody friction burns all over my foot. You really are hard core!! Oh...and another thing... Your worst marathon time is a good 10 minutes faster than my best so that just goes to show me how absolutely amazing you are at running.

I sure do miss all of you guys! Hope everything is going well for you and Brandon. How's school? Did you ever figure out what your big research project was going to be on?(I'm sure you have.) And how is charging? Is it as stressful as they all said.

Anyways, congrats again on finishing the marathon. You are my hero.

Kathy said...

Congrats on finishing the marathon! Under 4 hours is amazing in my book especially in that weather!

Kat and Steve said...

Way to go Connie! Don't be so hard on yourself. I think it's amazing that you did so well. What a huge accomplishment. I saw you just before the finish line and called your name, and you looked at me but there wasn't a lot of recognition on your face. Anyway, congrats!

Katherine from work

Emily said...

Congrats Connie! Even though you aren't in love with your time, it's one more under your belt! (And a really impressive time!) You are absolutely amazing. I love the bloody shoe. You truly are hard care!

jenni said...

Conz- you ARE HARD CORE! I can't believe the conditions you had to run through! I wish I could have been there running through the rain with you- what a race. I don't doubt that you will be back at it. Just remember that DC is awaiting your bloody shoes, and it's never too late to run Boston together- really! I look forward to talking with you soon!

Anna said...

HOly Cow Connie, I've never run more than 3 miles ... ever.... GOOD FOR YOU!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!
-ANna TeW

Alan and Brandi Cotton said...

You always were the hard core player! I remember YW sports playing against TO4. You girls were always great competition! Ha ha!

YOu look great and so happy, Connie! Thanks for finding me! I used to see your brother at BYUI. Is he still there? Tell him I say hello.

summerk said...

You're a champ, Connie! Way to go! I've always thought it would be awesome to run a marathon... and you've done it 4 times!?! You're amazing! Maybe someday...

Bart Thompson said...

Congrats on finishing the marathon. That is such a cool accomplishment and one to be so proud of!