Sunday, November 8, 2009

Spry Canyon

On Friday we drove down to Zion National Park with some friends for a fun filled outdoors weekend. We arrived late afternoon on Friday so we decided to hurry and hike Angel's Landing before dark. As always, Angel's Landing was gorgeous. I had never seen Zion in the fall until now and it still never fails to impress me. (Notice the colors in the trees along the little river through Zion.) After our quick hike up Angel's Landing we camped under the stars☼.Then we got up early on Saturday and headed to the start of Spry Canyon.Above was our group left to right: Brandon, Mark, Nathan, Lindsey, Dave, Me, and My Brandon
It took us 7 hours to complete. The first couple hours was spent hiking UP to the canyon. The rest actually in Spry Canyon, which has about 13 rappels. There were some pretty technical 100ft rappels, the longest being 165ft. and a few of them land right in water. This time of year is perfect because the water level is the lowest so we actually didn't get very wet at all. Brandon took all the pictures so I didn't get any of him rappeling:(.
I have to admit that some of the rappels were so intense and nerve-racking, but it is so worth the stress when you finally get into the slots (small spots in the canyon) and see the incredible views.

10 comments:

Ginger and JT Pruitt said...

jeez, you have all the fun. tell brandon he needs to make some more funny faces at the camera, I would like to see a hedgehog-face picture, or possibly a "dead lizard"-face ..oh and that second picture of the canyon -takes your breath away.

Angel said...

Lucky! That looks like a BLAST! I have never been repelling but I think it would be so much fun! You guys always do fun outdoor things.

p.s. Today a girl in my ward said there were 2 open spots on a team for the Del Sol Ragnar Relay race in Feb. I wouldn't know anyone on the team though (the girl who announced it is pregnant and cant run it) but I might get brave and join anyway. I'm sure it would be so fun, just like the Wasatch Back! You could always come down for a little vacation and run it with me! hehe :)

Anna said...

I have always wanted to go do that-but never had the chance. How about whenever Jeff and I get up there we go :)

You are so brave! 160 feet is a Loooong way!

Anna said...

Oh-and yes the pumpkin STUNK!

jenni said...

What a cool trip! You two are so good at exploring--- oh that I could tag along :)
Great picture!!! It's so gorgeous there- way to live it up!

Ali said...

Cool, cool, cool. That's all I can say- oh, and you are awesome. That has got to be a rush for sure!

Anonymous said...

Great Pictures of the Canyon !
If you need to take a break, Visit www.domo-sudoku.com

Rachel Ann said...

That looks like a lot of fun! I wish I would have got more into hiking before I had kids... a little harder now. :)

Michelle said...

you guys are always going fun places. I am jealous. Looks like a blast!

Princess said...

wow! that looks so much fun!!thanks for the comment.
and if you like the 1st thailand pics. you should look at all of them. there are some really cool pictures.