Monday, July 27, 2009

Kings' Peak

Brandon went on a scout camp backpacking adventure up to King's Peak, the highest peak in Utah. He did a good job making it the whole 26 miles and carrying all the boys' food. They made the trek in 3 days.
Taking a break along the 8 mile hike to the camping point on Day 1.
Most of the hike was along a river.
Check out the packs. Some of the boys are so little and their packs were nearly bigger than themselves.
Another break!
I love this picture with the summit reflecting in the little lake/pond.
This is the last part to summit on Day 2. Brandon says it looks shorter than it really is.
This is another angle from the trail up to the summit.
The view from the summit.
My cute Brandon at the top on Day 2.
These were the only pictures with him in it.
Instead of taking the trail back down, they just went straight off the side. Looks rocky.

There were 6 boys and 3 leaders and minus the complaining from a few, they all had a blast. The boys raved about it once they got back and as only boys would do, counted up their mosquito bites to see who had the most. The funniest part was when one of the deacons was feeling around by his ear and said out loud: "I can't tell if this is a mosquito bite or a zit! Oh well, I'm counting it anyway." Teenage boys, sigh.

6 comments:

Emily said...

What a cool hike. And that picture with the summit reflecting in the lake is amazing!

Princess said...

brandon is the perfect guy to take those boys hiking!
good job brando!
and awesome pics!

jenni said...

Lol- that ending quote reminds be precisely of my students :) Love it! It looks like such a beautiful hike! I can imagine Conz wished she was there. The scouts are lucky to have a patient and fun leader like Brandon! I hope to see you two in August- I'll be in town for a week!

Anna said...

Ha oh teenage boys...

Go Brandon! I am so missing the beautiful weather out West. It's pretty toasty in Texas right now.

I'll be in Utah on the 8! Call me sometime before then. 281-731-4172

Angel said...

Those pictures look awesome! I would love to hike that one day!

Michelle said...

that looks like fun. my husbands family is way into backpacking. they game me a backpack for my birthday. My father in law teaches backpacking classes!