Saturday, August 2, 2008

You know you are a runner if...

Back in my HS days of Cross Country and Track our team had this fun email we would always talk about. You know you are a Cross Country (CC) runner if... The list was great and filled with things only runners could understand because you actually put your body through it. My friends and I would get such a kick out of this list. We could all relate and we all just loved it.Here are some highlights on 'you know you are CC runner if...':

1) ...your toenails are black.
2) ...your shoes have more miles on them than your car does.
3) ...people say, "You run 3 miles...at once?"
4) ...all your socks are either stained (with dirt and blood) or torn.
5) ...you combine phrases like "10 mile run" and "easy run" in the same breath.
6) ...a meal involves more than 3 servings.
7) ...you spend more on training clothes than school clothes.
8) ...you've been to a golf course in every city, but not to play golf.
9) ...the mile in P.E. becomes your warm-up.
10) ...you wake up every morning in pain.
11) ...Red Bull or Gatorade is your drug of choice.
12) ...you asked to be an extra for Schindler's List II.
13) ...you have trouble benching the bar.
14) ...you can sharpen an ax blade on your calves.
15) ..."Chariots of Fire" is actually entertaining to you.
16) ...Steve Prefontaine's Birthday is more important than yours.
17) ...you find yourself saying, "it's not really a hill..."
18) ...your feet are comparable to rawhide.
19) ...you're running and you don't know why.
20) ...you ran a sub 5 on the P.E. mile run. (maybe this would be more like a sub 6)
21) ...you wore spikes on the P.E. mile run.
22) ...you did a 30 minute warm up for the P.E. mile run.
23) ...you haven't had soda in 6 months.
24) ...your calves are bigger than your biceps.
25) ...your toe nails are falling off.
26) ...you can pronounce those Kenyan names.
27) ...you refer to puke as a bodily function.

This morning I dragged Brandon out of bed at 0530 so we could get started on my 14 mile run before the 101 degree forecast could wake up. The St.George Marathon is now only 2 months away (yikees! I have a ton of miles to get done still). Brandon of course rides his bike and is my mobile water stand because he is wonderful! Thanks a million.

For some reason this run brought floods of memories of HS Cross Country to my mind. Hence, the list of reasons to know you are a runner. Here is a short list of why I know I am still a long distance runner:

1) It took me about 5 miles just to get warmed up so my muscles were loose enough to get my pace into sync.
2) Once I got my form into gear I started to notice the small pain in my foot.
3) After I mentally convinced myself there would be a blood stain on my sock (which there was) then I ignored that pain to concentrate on wiping all the sweat out of my eyes. Keep in mind at 6am (well maybe nearly 7am by now) it was probably not quite 80 degrees out yet but pretty dang close.
4) As the morning progressed more and more runners come out to say their cheers to you and everyone greets each other as you pass by because that is the runner's courtesy.
5) I reach 14 miles and when I am able to come to a complete stop I start to notice how tired just about every single muscle in my body is.
6) I take a hot shower and cringe as the hot water stings the multiple chafing areas around my body. I counted out 5 rashes. (I add to the list that IcyHot and Vaseline can become a runner's best friend.)
7) I ate double what Brandon ate for lunch!

9 comments:

Emily said...

Good job with keeping up with the running. You are awesome!
One of our professors actually was training to run the marathon at the olympics when he was in med school. He took 17th in the 92 olympics. Bob Kempainen is his name. Pretty cool. There is actually a Nike commercial back in the day of him vomiting during a race. I guess it's a sore spot and he doesn't like it brought up.

Yeah, that song reminds me of anatomy as well. Those were fun days. So many great friends and memories.

Good luck with your training!

Andrea said...

conz1 OH im so glad that you found my blog and left a comment! It's so good to hear from you. how is life? well i guess i will have to go back and catch up on all the posts to find that out. take care!

Michelle said...

that is pretty funny. I ran track but not long distance. I can still relate to a lot of them.

Ali said...

I have to say, I felt like a true runner in my cross country days...but my feet never did bleed, so I know I was never that hard core. Serious kudos to all of your hard-coreness! You should check out my friend Marjorie's blog that we ran that 10-mile with...she finished her first marathon and wrote all about it :) Keep up the hard work! You are a true inspiration.

Anna said...

Connie!!! Yay!!! I am glad you are a blogger and that you found mine.

I am amazed with your running...awesome. Good luck with the marathon!

J and L said...

Yeah, I'm definitely NOT a runner. I'll leave that to you and Linz...
Good for you though! Seriously! I truly do have a great respect for runners. I prefer pools and bikes myself. Its the bad knee...
:)

C Train's Deep Thoughts said...

I can totally relate to the chaffing, but I don't run, except from the occasional dog, cop or imminent explosion, is that weird??? anyway I would like to formally invite you, your significant other, and your husband to the first annual salute to hot dogs and aug 11 unless the planning committe changes the date something I have no control over, hope you'll join us.

C Train's Deep Thoughts said...

on aug 11, not and aug 11, why can't I edit this *@!# thing!

Anna said...

Not a runner, that's for sure! I sure dream and talk about it. Some day I want to run a marathon but I'm not sure I could even run a mile without stopping!!!! Keep it up though, awesome.