Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Le Tour de France

I have really gotten into this major event the last few days. Le Tour de France is really interesting to watch and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I have found myself following the "yellow jersey" and other race contender stats. For those of you who are not familiar with this historic event, le Tour de France is a cycle race around the entire country of France. It is a 23 day (21 race stages and 2 rest days) tour of over 2,000 miles. The racers are incredible on their bikes. They ride over intense elevations on climb days and gain some crazy speed on sprint days.

I am excited for the final stage when they ride down the Champs-Elysees in Paris. The reason I really admire anyone who competes in the tour is because of how much they have to endure through grueling terrain for 3 weeks. Some days are very rainy and it makes for slippery asphalt. The cyclists have to ride up and down mountains and work through fast turns. Some cyclists even fall off sides of mountains at times and the tour is never complete if you do not see a fall with a domino effect.

In high school, I traveled to France with my french class to prove to ourselves how well we could speak the language:). It was one of my favorite traveling experiences in my life. I remember our bus taking us through some cities in southern France and the roads being blocked off because of the tour. If only I had been as excited about it back then so I could've paid closer attention when I was actually able to see it in person. That would have been when Lance Armstrong was becoming one of the greatest cyclist for the tour and in the world. Oh well, watching it on TV has been fun.

Watching all the athleticism with the Tour de France makes me really look forward to the Olympics...Beijing 8.8.08. The summer Olympics are the best!

Winter is great too...just not as great as summer!

4 comments:

The Wilson Family said...

Conz! I am right there with you, I love watching the tour and am so exciting for the summer games. I am going to DVR everything ;o) Miss you!

Ali said...

I can't say the same, I've never followed this...only when there's drama about it on the news have I known it's going on :) don't you know someone that is competing in this summer's olympics? Or is that Emily Moeller?

Connie and Brandon said...

yeah i know a few people competing in the olympics this summer. most of them are in track and i know one diver. the track competitors are actually just people i knew of in high school from track because they were good. i don't really know them personally but its more fun to watch them when you kind of know their history.

Jana said...

Hi Connie, this is Sam's sister Jana - Terri sent me the link to your blog, I hope you don't mind! I love blogs :) I just wanted to say hi - have fun watching the Opening Ceremonies tonight!